Fiona has been in practice since 1993 and heads the firm's dispute resolution practice. Prior to joining the firm in 1999, she worked for a mid-sized law firm in Sydney. Fiona is a skilled litigator who works in all Australian federal and state jurisdictions. She has a particular expertise in disputes involving cross-border elements and regularly advises clients involved in complex commercial disputes in an international context. Fiona brings a practical commercial approach to resolving disputes and is highly regarded for her ability to understand the relationship between risk tolerance and strategy.
In addition, Fiona acts for a number of medium and large Australian and multi-national companies as their general legal counsel. Her ability to question assumptions and challenge orthodoxy helps her to work with her clients to achieve better business outcomes. Fiona's commercial clients span a diverse range of industries including banking, manufacturing, building and construction, health services, insurance and IT.
Fiona brings to her commercial work, extensive experience as a company director. This enables her to view an issue from different perspectives within the boardroom. She acts as the resident Australian director for her international commercial clients where needed, as well as currently sitting on the board or council of several government and not-for-profit organisations. Fiona's particular interest in cross-border business has led to her appointment a director of the Norwegian-Australian Chamber of Commerce.
Fiona also advises private clients across a range of matters, particularly in estate planning, family provision claims, estate administration and disputes, especially those matters involving overseas-held assets.
Areas of Practice
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Contract law including termination and enforcement of contracts
- Debt recovery including insolvency
- Corporate law and shareholder disputes
- Employment law including employment contracts and disputes
- Wills and estate planning
- Probate and estate administration, estate disputes and family provision claims including matters involving property held overseas
- 1992 - Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws, Australian National University
- 1993 – Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, University of Technology
- 1993 - Admitted as a solicitor in NSW
- 2000 - Master of Laws, University of New South Wales (corporate and commercial law)